FracTracker Alliance, remote/Pittsburgh
This job listing is a paid promotion and the Energy News Network is not responsible for its contents. To submit a listing, go to our main job board page.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Compensation: This is a full time, exempt position with a starting salary range of $70,000-$75,000; Benefits
offered for this position include, but are not limited to: health, vision, and dental care coverage, 401(k) employer
match, paid holidays, and paid time off.
Position reports to: Manager of Data and Technology
Location: These positions are expected to be 100% remote, with a preference for candidates located in
Southwestern Pennsylvania, however candidates from any U.S. location are welcome to apply.
Founded in 2012, FracTracker Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that maps, analyzes, and communicates
the risks of oil, gas, and petrochemical development to advance just energy alternatives that protect public
health, natural resources, and the climate. We provide timely and provocative data, ground-breaking analyses,
maps, and other visual tools to help advocates, researchers, and the concerned public better understand the
harms posed by hydrocarbon extraction.
The Data Integration Specialist will have an instrumental role in the design, implementation, and maintenance of
data integration processes that ensure accurate and timely flow of data between various systems and platforms.
Much of the data will be geographic in nature, so familiarity with geographic information systems (GIS) data files
will be necessary. The ideal candidate should have a strong technical background, excellent problem-solving
skills, and a deep understanding of data integration techniques and tools.
This is a full time, salaried position. FracTracker provides staff with benefits including, but not limited to: health,
dental, and vision care, 401(k) employer match, paid holidays, and paid time off. We strongly encourage
candidates with experience living and working in Environmental Justice communities to apply.
● Design, develop, and maintain a centralized relational database on a remote server that integrates data
from numerous sources that may include geospatial, qualitative, quantitative, and “messy” data
● Develop tools or procedures for FracTracker staff to add to the central database
● Develop tools that allow staff or stakeholders to extract specific information from the database
● Write scripts to aid in data extraction from formats with limited accessibility, such as PDF and HTML
tables. Write scripts to standardize formatting in external data sources such as codes used by state data
● Automate repetitive processes such as matching records from multiple datasets to acquire additional
● Develop and maintain documentation for data integration processes, including technical specifications,
data flow diagrams, and system architecture diagrams. Monitor data integration processes and
troubleshoot issues in a timely and effective manner.
● Catalog external data sources in order to streamline data requests
● Serve as the project lead for FracTracker app development
● Manage the FracTracker website domain, including SSL updates and server and web maintenance.
● Maintain the data webpages of the FracTracker site, in collaboration with the Communications Specialist
● Stay up-to-date with data industry trends and best practices in data integration and make
recommendations for process improvements
● Collaborate and communicate effectively with all other members of the FracTracker team
● Coordinate with external collaborators including UI UX designers, web and app developers, and
● Other tasks as required
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field
● Minimum of 5 years of experience in data integration, with a proven track record of designing and
implementing complex data integration solutions.
● Experience with SQL and database management systems (DBMS) such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
● Experience with Python and related tools such as Jupyter, Pandas, GeoPandas, Selenium
● Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) including Esri and Mapbox platforms
● Ability to process geodata in a variety of file formats including shapefiles, GeoJSON, PostGIS, and
comma-separated values (CSV)
● Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) tools including Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS)
● Experience with Apache AirFlow
● Self-starter, who thrives in an independent, creative, and collaborative environment
● Exceptional writing and interpersonal skills
● Highly organized; proactive problem solving; attentive to detail
● Proficient in Google Drive and online collaboration tools
● Commitment to promoting environmental justice. Experience living and working in environmental justice
communities is a plus
● Knowledge of environmental, health, and climate concerns related to fossil fuel development
● Commitment to promoting environmental justice and passion for the mission of FracTracker
Application deadline is March 31, 2023 – click here to apply